Hidden Railway Carriage
Hornsea Civic Society given rare treat to tour this house.
Whilst the railway was running to Hornsea some people took advantage of the sale of redundant railway carriages, that were transported by rail to Hornsea Station, where they were lifted off their wheels and transported to site.
read more click link Big Gem
Fair Place, Mereside, Hornsea
Bring Back Hornsea Mere! Way back in 1275, Edward I had granted a royal charter to hold fairs alongside the mere which became known as Fair Place. click the link to see more Fair Place
Smith & Nephew – The Hornsea Connection
It is a little-known fact in Hornsea, that there is a very strong local connection with the Hull Company Smith & Nephew. click the link to see more Smith and Nephew
Hornsea Old and New
We discovered a brilliant website which contains an abundance of interesting features such as photos of Hornsea Carnival from 1985 to present, old maps, stuff on the pottery and the railway AND a selection of old town guides going back to 1908.
The 1908 Town Guide is here townguide1908 and the website can be found here
It is a fantastic resource for those interested in Hornsea’s history
Hornsea Steam Laundry
Although we are not sure when Hornsea Steam Laundry on Cliff Road was actually built, we know that it was in operation in the early 1900s.
Laundry was brought to the site in the cart pictured, and the land behind the laundry was the drying ground.
By about 1920 the Laundry had ceased operation and the property was converted into a Cinema, becoming known as the “Victoria Cinema”.
At around the same time the drying ground at the rear of the building had been sold to Robert E Hobson, who subsequently built a bungalow on the site for his parents to retire into, together with another four houses. The access road to these was named “Victoria Gardens”
By 1925 the cinema had become “Victoria Hall” and was used as a theatre as well as a cinema.
The first operatic performance there was a concert version of “Tom Jones” in 1925, and this led to the formation of the Hornsea Operatic Society whose first production was “Dogs of Devon” in 1927, and by this time the building had become known as the “Victoria Theatre”.
At around the same time a dance floor had been laid in the building and it became a mecca for such functions.
By 1929 it had ceased to be a theatre, the Operatic Society had moved their productions to the Star Cinema on Newbegin (It was located where the Library is today), and the building had been sold to Binnington’s Motors of Willerby. It then became known as “Victoria Garage”
In the early 1930s this firm built a large extension at the back, to house double-decker buses, using some of the original internal foyer doors as external doors.
Binnington’s was eventually swallowed up by East Yorkshire Motors who operated from there for a short time before they built their present bus station and garage soon after the end of WWII.
The old “Victoria Garage” then became the Hornsea depot of the Yorkshire Electricity Board and remained so until they closed down in Hornsea.
The building was then bought by the Hornsea District Council for use as workshops and a depot, and this passed into the hands of the Holderness Borough Council on government re-organisation.
The building was eventually closed completely and demolished, the site being sold to the Anchor Housing Association who built flats there about 1990, calling them Holtby Gardens.